Market is correcting. STI (Strait Time Index) fell 15% from 3500 in Apr to 2970 on 22 Aug. HSI (Hang Seng Index) fell 20% (harder) from 28,000 in May to 22,400 currently.
No surprises that I am more interested in HK-listed stocks, since HSI has fallen more. Over the past week, I bought some HK stocks e.g. HSCEI ETF (02828). Yes, I am losing money over my purchase in the past week. But it is ok to lose money in a market correction. It is more likely that I will gain in the medium term of 3 years. Hopefully.
Despite the correction, year-to-date (ytd), I am still eking out a minimal gain of 0.3%. YTD, STI fell by around 10% while HSI fell by 5%. I fare much worse than the indices in 2011 correction. Probably it is because I have diversified into more stocks. Or, I am lucky to avoid the worst hit Oil & Gas stocks this time.
I still have bullets to spare. Looking at my cash in bank and my stock portfolio, I am 1/3 cash and 2/3 stock. My cash could have been higher, if I have followed the temptation to cash in some CWT when it was at $2.36. (Now, CWT is at $1.98.)
My strategy is to add to a few of the existing stocks if they fell 10% from my last purchase price. Each addition is not large -- probably 1% of my stock portfolio. The existing stocks I am looking to add include HSCEI ETF, Valuetronics,
I am also planning to initiate new stocks (e.g. Singapore bank stocks) if they fell further. If the correction turns heavier into a crash, I will start looking at REITs which may offer high yields then. I recall that First Reit fell to 40 cents in 2009, offering 15% yield then. However, I don't think I will see any 15% reit this time.
I don't feel that this market correction will turn into a crash like 2009. It is more likely to be similar to 2011 correction, especially since the US and Europe economies are improving.
Nonetheless, I will never know when the market will bottom.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Lowering Risk of Bad Outcomes
As one's net worth gets larger, lowering the risk of bad outcomes becomes more relevant and important. For example, if you have retired ...
-
Buffett has mentioned that an investor should be animated by greed but not be controlled by it. Van Tharp, in Schwager's Market Wizards,...
-
This post was created in Feb 2011. Apr 2017: Updated with 4 books Updated in Dec 2023, Dec 2024, Dec 2025 _________________ In my e...
-
Success in investing doesn't correlate with I.Q. once you're above the level of 125. Once you have ordinary intelligence, what you n...
No comments:
Post a Comment