2016 Returns
My stock portfolio returns this year is +19%, beating STI returns (excl dividends) of 0% and the STI returns (incl dividends) of 5% (based on STI ETF as at Nov 2016)
The returns are largely due to 2 stocks: China Aviation Oil (CAO) and 800 Super. (I am still holding 800 Super in my portfolio, but I no longer hold CAO. I may buy CAO again if the price drops.)
What I aim to do in 2017
As mentioned earlier, I aim to inject funds into my stock portfolio such that my stock-to-cash ratio will be 60-65% in 2017, as the opportunity cost of cash -- i.e. returns if invested in stocks -- is significant.
In 2016, I have steered my portfolio towards GARP (Growth at Reasonable Price) stocks. Hopefully, I can continue to find GARP stocks to buy in 2017. It is quite difficult to find stocks with quality and growth at reasonable price.
If possible, I should set aside a portion (maybe 5%-10%) of my portfolio towards buying stocks which had fallen a lot, market is very pessimistic about, but the problems are temporary and the stock has a chance of recovery. Thereafter, when I had bought the stock, I should die-die hold the stock for 2 years regardless how low the stock fall. This is something I may do, if I can identify such stock in 2017.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Lowering Risk of Bad Outcomes
As one's net worth gets larger, lowering the risk of bad outcomes becomes more relevant and important. For example, if you have retired ...
-
Buffett has mentioned that an investor should be animated by greed but not be controlled by it. Van Tharp, in Schwager's Market Wizards,...
-
I have discovered that I have made a blunder in my valuation of Hongwei and Contel. That is, I did not take into account of their newly issu...
-
This post was created in Feb 2011. Apr 2017: Updated with 4 books Updated in Dec 2023, Dec 2024, Dec 2025 _________________ In my e...
No comments:
Post a Comment