As an investor, probably you can't help but to feel blue when the market is going down and down. Here, I shall describe a few ways to help an investor feel better.
First, you can try changing your reference point. If you have started investing many years ago, instead of looking at year to date losses, why not look at the total gains since you have started investing?
Next, you can try reviewing or look at your portfolio less frequently, if your portfolio is in loss-making mode now. Each time you look at your losses, you may feel sad. Hence by looking less frequently, you will feel sad less frequently too.
Finally, you can always remind yourself that 'this too will pass'. As stock returns tend to be positive in the long run, sooner or later your portfolio will turn green.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Gradually switching to ETFs
Year-to-date, my stock portfolio is down 10%, mainly due to losses in individual stocks. On the contrary, the ETFs in my stock portfolio he...
-
Buffett has mentioned that an investor should be animated by greed but not be controlled by it. Van Tharp, in Schwager's Market Wizards,...
-
I have discovered that I have made a blunder in my valuation of Hongwei and Contel. That is, I did not take into account of their newly issu...
-
7th lesson: Higher gains are needed to compensate losses (see table below). Well, this is a lesson that I have to re-remember. And since I a...
2 comments:
Hi,
Haha, I understand u :)
How about making investment more fun? I blogged about it too here:
http://bullythebear.blogspot.com/2008/09/how-to-make-investment-enjoyable.html
Was recommended to your site, will read on more :)
this too will pass.
a very powerful phrase for someone who truly understands it!
Post a Comment